Contact a Steele Creek Neighborhood Expert Today
Located in the southwest area of the city, you can find traditional homes that have been there for generations and then new construction homes. People love the area because of the location and affordability. It's not far from Uptown and convenient to the airport for frequent travelers. Welcome to Steele Creek.
Steele Creek is one of the fastest-growing areas in Charlotte area. One can typically get more space, both land wise and house wise for their money compared to closer in to uptown. New construction communities are booming in this area for both single-family homes and townhomes.
The area gets its name from the small creek by the same name that runs through the community. It is believed that the name "Steele" was the family surname of the Scotch-Irish immigrants who settled in the area in the 17th and early 18th centuries. The area was one of the original 15 townships of Mecklenburg County and was designated as Steele Creek Township.
Back in the 1950s, the NC State Legislature revised laws that governed how cities could annex adjacent areas. The city of Charlotte annexed nearly two-thirds of Steele Creek. It remained mostly farmland until the early 2000s when NC 49 was widened and the opening of I 485 brought about major infrastructure improvements to the area. Steele Creek saw a 70% population boom between 2000 and 2007 and continues to be one of the fastest-growing suburbs of Charlotte.
- Population: 52,014
- Major corporations like Microsoft and Spectrum take up office buildings in ArrowPoint and nearby office parks.
- Siemens expanded in the area with a gas turbine facility in 2011.
- Charlotte Premium Outlets opened in 2014 and brought more planned development to the area.
- The first Charlotte location of TopGolf calls Steele Creek home.
- Mod Pizza - Think individual pizzas, fast! Choose from over 30 toppings for your pizza and have it in minutes. Great for a quick meal that is healthier than your average fast-food dinner.
- Hickory Tavern - The perfect place to watch your favorite sports or listen to live music all rolled into one. Known for their wings, juicy burgers, and tacos, there is something for everyone at Hickory Tavern.
- Jim 'N Nick's BBQ - Craving BBQ? Head over to Jim 'N Nick's in Steele Creek. Choose from the classic pulled pork BBQ, beef brisket, or spare ribs. The trimmings are all delicious as well. The loaded mac and cheese is always a crowd-pleaser. This is the perfect place to order in bulk for your next get together.
- Luigi's Pizza - This is much more than just a pizza place! They offer everything you can imagine from a true pizza place. Pizza, stromboli, calzones, philly steak sandwiches, chicken parm sandwich, hot italian specialties, and the list goes on. Save room for the cannoli or NY cheesecake.
- Harry's Grille & Tavern - Harry's opened in 2012 in the area and is based on the NY gastro-pub experience, serving upscale casual food in a relaxing environment. They serve brunch, lunch, and dinner. Try the classic wedge salad, flatbreads, sandwiches, and hand-cut steaks.
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport - The airport is just minutes away from the area making it the perfect home for frequent flyers as well as employees of the airport.
- Steele Creek is great for commuters. There is easy access to I-485, I-85, and I-77.
- Rivergate Shopping Center - Situated near Lake Wylie and the Catawba River, this shopping center has it all. Super Target, Marshalls, Old Navy, Rack Room Shoes, Best Buy, and PetSmart are just a few places you can shop. There are also plenty of dining options including Buffalo Wild Wings, Chick-fil-A, The Wine Shop, and Salsarita's.
- Charlotte Premium Outlets - North Carolina's newest upscale outlet center features over 100 luxury brands and notable upscale stores. Coach, Kate Spade New York, Ann Taylor, Nike Factory Store, Brooks Brothers, Saks 5th Avenue Off 5th, and more can be found here.
- Ayrsley - Located off I-485 and South Tryon sits southwest Charlotte's most walkable community. This mixed-use development features over 20 restaurants and bars, a movie theater(Temporarily Closed), and office space.
- The Shops at Whitehall Commons - Anchored by Walmart and Lowe's, you will also find Publix, Panera Bread, Chilis, and Luigi's Pizza in this easily accessible center.
Things To Do
- Top Golf - Meet your friends for some fun, take a business client, or have a fun party at Top Golf. Hit some balls and then enjoy some food and drink from the restaurant and bar.
- Carowinds - For over 45 years, Carowinds has been the ticket to family fun. The newest roller coaster to join the line-up is the Copperhead Strike, the first double-launch coaster in the Carolinas. The Fury 325 was introduced in 2015 and is the world's tallest and fastest giga coaster. Camp Snoopy is the perfect spot to take the younger kids in the family. Carolina Harbor Waterpark opens from Memorial Day through Labor Day and is the perfect spot to cool off in the summer.
- Lake Wylie - A day on the lake is always a good day! Fishing, camping, dining, taking a boat ride, kayaking and canoeing are all great activities available at Lake Wylie.
- McDowell Nature Preserve - Visit the nature center, camp for a weekend near the lake, take a hike, or fish all from this Mecklenburg County preserve.
- Piedmont Social House - Bowl, play pool, ping pong, or hang outside on the oversized patio at Piedmont Social House. Try local craft brews and fest on their menu of shareables to handheld sandwiches.
- Crowders Mountain State Park - Located about 30 miles south of Steele Creek you will find Crowders Mountain. Choose from 11 hikes from pastoral to strenuous, including the Ridgeline Trail which links to Kings Mountain State Park. The park also offers backcountry camping, think individual campsites about a mile away from parking. There is also a 9-acre lake that is perfect for fishing or canoeing.
- US National Whitewater Center - Another great attraction within 16 miles of Steele Creek is the USNWC. Open since 2006, explore over 1300 acres of outdoor activities for all skill levels including whitewater rafting and kayaking, flatwater kayaking, ziplining, stand-up paddleboarding, deep water solo, rock climbing, ropes courses, and mountain biking on the 50+ mile trail system.
Real Estate Information
When it comes to real estate in the Steele Creek area, it all comes down to your taste and budget. You can find older, more established neighborhoods as well as new construction neighborhoods. There are many townhomes being built as well which appeal to first-time home buyers. One can also find lakefront property available with a Charlotte address. Home prices range from mid $150's up to $2.5 million.
- Chapel Cove
- The Palisades
- The Crossings